Chiropractic For Pregnancy
While becoming pregnant is an occasion of much joy and excitement, pregnancy and childbirth is a time of significant physical, emotional and hormonal change.
Gentle, specific Chiropractic adjustments may make this a more comfortable experience, helping the body to regulate and adapt to these challenges appropriately.
What we do:
- Provide gentle, safe, specific low-force Chiropractic adjustments that support spinal function, using tables designed specifically to accommodate pregnant tummies.
- Work in consultation with your midwife, obstetrician or doula.
- Provide you with exercises and stretches that are safe to use during pregnancy
- Support you with practical help and knowledge, to assist you during your pregnancy, labour and the birth of your baby.
How Chiropractic may be able to help during pregnancy:
- Relieves back pain associated with pregnancy – changes to your posture from weight gain and ligament laxity increase the load placed on your spine and your pelvis. Gentle, specific adjustments help to relieve the pain of these postural changes. In one report, 75% of pregnant patients experienced relief from back pain following Chiropractic Care (1), while another review of records found a rate of relief among their subjects of 84% (2).
- Help to prevent difficulties during labour – In recent research, out of New Zealand, on the effects of Chiropractic Adjustments on pregnant women, the adjustments appeared to relax the pelvic floor muscles (3). The authors of (2), referenced earlier, noted that Chiropractic Care may also decrease the incidence of “back labour”, a period of acute, lower back pain during labour.
- May help shorten labour – Women who seek Chiropractic Care during their first pregnancy have been reported to have, on average, a 25% reduction in labour times, while those on subsequent pregnancies have been reported experiencing reductions averaging 31% (4,5).
Is Chiro right for you?
If you are already experiencing back pain associated with your pregnancy, or are just concerned that everything is working the best it possibly can, then call us on 9868 2509.
After examining you, we will be able to tell you whether Chiropractic can help you and give you the confidence that your spine, pelvis and nervous system are working optimally to support you and the birth of your child.
(1) Shaw G. When to adjust: Chiropractic and Pregnancy. J Am Chiro Assoc. 2003;40(11):8-16
(2) Diakow PR, Gadsby TA, Gadsby JB et al. Back pain during pregnancy and labour. J Manip Physiol Ther. 1991 Feb;14(2):116-8
(3) Haavik H, Murphy BA, Kruger J. Effect of Spinal Manipulation on Pelvic Floor Functional Changes in Pregnant and Non-pregnant Women: A Preliminary Study. J Manip Physiol Ther. 2016:39(5):339-47
(4) Borggren CL. Pregnancy and Chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. J Chiro Medicine. 2007 6//:6(2):70-4
(5) Fallon JM. Textbook on Chiropractic and pregnancy: ICA; 1994